uTorrent / µTorrent App Review
µTorrent downloads files at high speeds using the BitTorrent hyper distribution communications protocol for peer-to-peer file sharing (“”P2P””). Splitting the downloadable file into multiple parts and employing multi threading through seeding helps you download music, movies, and video files many times faster.
µTorrent is a trendy BitTorrent client that can be used to share and download files. It is available for multiple platforms but recently released a new mobile app for Android systems. There are two versions of the app. The free version is ad-supported and includes Lite mode and Weekly mode. The Pro version costs $3.99 and includes various additional features, such as Ad-free experience, Unlimited downloads, Unlimited uploads, the Shorter install process, Pro-tier features all in one, Torrents download up to 4x faster, Ability to pause and resume downloads, and Automatic updates. µTorrent has won multiple “Best Software No One’s Heard Of” awards and is one of the most popular BitTorrent clients in the world, having over 150 million downloads.
- Scheduled uploads and downloads
Users don't like:
- No built-in search
- Bundled software in the installer
Why to choose/Best for:
- Beautifully light, clean design
- Simply download files directly to your phone/tablet
- Share files & torrents with ease from your phone/tablet
- No download speed limits and no torrent download size limits
- Better music listening and video viewing experience with integrated music and video players
- Translations in Español, Italiano, Português do Brasil
- Download free music, movie and videos from licensed content partners from BitTorrent Now
- Get App
- uTorrent / µTorrent FAQ
uTorrent / µTorrent FAQ
How do I change the default location of my downloads?
Go to Options, then Directories, then select the location of your downloaded files, and click Apply.
How do I add a torrent?
Once you obtain the .torrent file you wish to download, import it into your torrent client. There are a few ways to do this:
- Double-click the .torrent file or click on a Magnet link.
- Drag-and-drop the .torrent file into your torrent client.
- Click File, then select Add Torrent (or Ctrl+O) in your torrent client and open the .torrent file.
- If you know the direct URL to the .torrent file, but don’t have it on your hard drive, you can click File, then select Add Torrent from URL (or Ctrl+U in your torrent client) and enter the URL of the .torrent file.
- After opening the .torrent file, tell your torrent client where you’d like the torrent contents to be saved. If your torrent client doesn’t automatically start downloading, you can start the torrent job manually by selecting the torrent job in the list and clicking the Start button on the toolbar, or by right-clicking the torrent and selecting Start. If you are using a Magnet link, you will need to wait a few seconds for the Meta-data to be retrieved.
What do I do once my torrent is downloaded?
After a torrent job finishes downloading, you are highly encouraged to leave the torrent job seeding. This uploads the file(s) to other peers so they can enjoy them too. Aside from that, you can enjoy your downloaded file by navigating to the folder on your computer you selected to store it. If it’s a playable file, open your favorite player (e.g. VLC), then drag the file from your folder into your player.
How do I pause or delete a torrent?
There are buttons on the toolbar at the top of the torrent client interface that allows you to perform basic functions. Among them is the ability to pause or delete a torrent. If you are unsure which button does what, you can place your mouse cursor over a button, and a tooltip should pop up providing the description of the button.
To Pause or Stop: Clicking the Stop button will pause the selected torrent job(s), but won’t actually stop it. This tells your torrent client to attempt to retain connections to peers without having to re-establish them like starting stopped torrent jobs would require. Pausing is useful for when you need quick access to bandwidth but intend to resume your download shortly. Realize that while your torrent client won’t drop the connections, it’s possible they can be dropped by the torrent clients on the other end of the connection.
To Delete: Clicking the Delete button removes the selected torrent job(s) from the list, but all related files are left intact on your computer. Or, you can right-click on a torrent, select Remove
And, then select from one of the following options:
- delete .torrent: removes the selected torrent job(s) from the list and the corresponding .torrent file(s) from the .torrent file storage location.
- delete .torrent + Data: removes the selected torrent job(s) from the list, the corresponding .torrent file(s) from the .torrent file storage location, and all content downloaded from the torrent job(s).
- delete Data removes the selected torrent job(s) from the list and all content downloaded from the torrent job(s).
- Android Details
Size: Rating: 4.6 Version: 6.2.0 Content Rating: 3+ Author: BitTorrent, Inc. Installs: 100,000,000+
- iOS Details
Size: Rating: Version: Content Rating: Author: Compatibility: Languages:
iOS (iPhone, iPad):