MEGA App Review
MEGA provides user-controlled encrypted cloud storage and chat through standard web browsers, together with dedicated apps for mobile devices. Unlike other cloud storage providers, your data is encrypted and decrypted by your client devices only and never by us.
Mega is a new type of cloud storage site. It has an option for 100% encryption, or the highest encryption available, 256-AES. This means the data on your phone is being split or hashed, so all the hacker has to do is find the location of the files, and it won’t work.
Other cloud storage sites use this encryption. What makes Mega different is that it uses end-to-end encryption. This means that the encryption is done on your phone. If you lose your phone or get destroyed, you can access your data in the cloud.
How to Install Mega App
Mega App is a free download from the Google Play Store. It is the official app of Mega. You can also go to the Mega website and download their free client.
I prefer to use the app because it is more secure. When you install the app, it will ask you to create a password. The app will then generate a 12-character password for you, which you can change.
Mega runs in the background, so you won’t be able to uninstall the app.
The app will then ask you to choose a folder from your phone to backup. This is where all your data is stored. You can choose a folder for photos, videos, documents, music, or a generic folder.
Once you have the folder, you will need to create a password for your files. You can change your password at any time.
Using the Mega App
I started with the free version of Mega. Once I created my account, I downloaded the app and started uploading my files. I didn’t realize this until later, but the free version of Mega only lets you store 2GB of data. You can upgrade to get more space, but the pricing is a little steep.
I started uploading all my files. It took a while because I had to do it one at a time. It would have been easier if I had an SD Card. I could have just transferred all the photos and videos on my SD card to my phone and uploaded that.
I was able to upload all my photos and videos, and then I started uploading my documents. When I got to the music, I ran out of space.
With a 2GB free account, you can’t upload all your photos and videos. You can’t even upload all your documents.
You can upgrade to a Pro account which gives you unlimited cloud storage. This is the only storage available for $4.99 a month.
I can’t justify the price for what I am using it for, so I will be uninstalling it.
You can try the free version for yourself.
- Plenty of free storage
- Encrypted sharing links
- Zero-knowledge encryption
- Previews for media & documents
Users don't like:
- Poor customer support
- High prices for paid plans
- Not good for collaboration
- User experience could be better
Why to choose/Best for:
- Apps for all platforms and browser extensions.
- Web client for access from any browser.
- Share files with contacts in a fully encrypted state.
- Create encrypted and password protected links to your files.
- Preview photos and videos on the fly.
- Versioning options for restoring a file to an older version.
- Chat feature lets you send encrypted messages to other users
- MEGAbird extension for Firefox email client; use Thunderbird to send large encrypted files.
- MEGAcmd command-line application. This tool is available for Mac, Windows, or Linux. It allows users to navigate their MEGA account as if it were a local folder and allows them to make use of all of MEGA’s advanced features via a command-line interface.
- Get App
- MEGA FAQ
How can I create an account on MEGA through the app?
- When you open the app, click on the Create Account button.
- Fill in your details and accept MEGA’s Terms of Service. Your account’s security depends on the strength of your password. Passwords that are too short, too simple, or consist of dictionary words are easily guessed.
- When you tap on Create Account, a confirmation email will be sent to the email address you have entered. Look for the MEGA Activation email and tap on the Activate Account button.
- Then confirm your chosen password by typing it in to validate your account. The app will open on your Cloud Drive.
Can I upgrade my MEGA account through the Android app?
- Click on the Hamburger icon at the top left of your screen.
- Tapping on your name on the top will take you to My Account page.
- Click on the green Upgrade button and you will be able to choose from one of the four different monthly or annual subscription plans that MEGA offers.
Uploading to my Cloud Drive
- Navigate to your Cloud Drive, and then tap on the Cloud Drive Context menu icon (three vertical dots) in the top right corner of the screen.
- Select the option Upload, and then select the file type from the sliding panel.
- You will see different options: Image, Audio, Video or you can pick a file/folder from your File System.
- Android Details
Size: Varies with device Rating: 3.8 Version: Varies with device Content Rating: 3+ Author: Mega Ltd Installs: 50,000,000+
- iOS Details
Size: 224.3 MB Rating: 4.2 Version: 4.10 Content Rating: 4+ Author: Mega Limited Compatibility: Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Languages: English, Arabic, Dutch, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
iOS (iPhone, iPad):