Hangouts App Review
Use Hangouts to keep in touch. Message contacts, start free video or voice calls and hop on a conversation with one person or a group.
- Completely free to use
- Lets you send text messages and video calls
- Offers group conversations across platforms
- YouTube live stream feature built-in
Users don't like:
- Ability to send/receive SMS messages removed
- Video quality is highly dependent on your connection
- Google+ integration with Hangouts is annoying
- Doesn’t have GIF support that some other apps do
Why to choose/Best for:
- Live stream your chats to YouTube
- Send and receive text messages
- Send and receive video/voice calls
- Keep a record of your text history or turn it off
- Available across multiple platforms
- Get App
- Hangouts FAQ
Get started with classic Hangouts
You can use Hangouts to:
- Start a chat conversation.
- Make phone calls using Wi-Fi or data.
- Send text messages with your Google Voice or Google Fi phone number.
Hangouts sync automatically across devices. If you start a Hangout on your computer, you can continue your chat on another device, like your phone.
Sign in or out of Hangouts
When you sign in or out of Hangouts on one device, you aren’t automatically signed in or out of Hangouts on other devices.
For example, if you sign in on your computer, you’re not automatically signed in on your phone.
Verify your phone number in Hangouts
When you verify your phone number, people who have your phone number can contact you through Hangouts.
Do I have classic Hangouts or Google Chat?
To see which chat application you’re using, check the app name, the app logo, or the URL of your browser web page.
- Hangouts—If you have a personal Google Account (usually an account ending with @gmail.com), you probably have classic Hangouts. Start Hangouts on the web at https://hangouts.google.com.You can’t use Google Chat with your personal account to start a new conversation. Over time, you may be invited to chat with someone using Google Chat at work or school. If that happens, you can respond with either classic Hangouts or Chat on the web (chat.google.com).
- Google Chat—If you have a G Suite account at work, school, or another group, you might use Chat, Google’s newest messaging application. Start Chat on the web at https://chat.google.com.Some G Suite organizations still use classic Hangouts, and some use both Chat and classic Hangouts. If you’re not sure which you should use, check with your administrator.Note: “Hangouts Chat” was the previous name for Google Chat. It does not refer to classic Hangouts.
- Android Details
Size: Varies with device Rating: 4.1 Version: Varies with device Content Rating: 3+ Author: Google LLC Installs: 1,000,000,000+
- iOS Details
Size: 161.3 MB Rating: 4.3 Version: 33.0.0 Content Rating: 4+ Author: Google LLC Compatibility: Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
iOS (iPhone, iPad):